Community Collaborations/Kids Camp Internship
The intern will provide intensive support for Kids Camp activities, and plan and implement a hands-on workshop for community youth. The Community Collaboration Kids Camp internship position begins in mid-June and ends in mid-August, 2017. The position is full time (approximately 40 hours/week). The intern will work intensively with up to 12 teaching artists over the course of the summer session, experiencing a variety of teaching styles, techniques and approaches to instruction. Kids Camp serves youth ages 3 to 18 in weeklong half and full-day formats. The intern will also have the opportunity to design and implement a class for youth in August in collaboration with a community organization.
The internship is unpaid, but offers a unique opportunity to live and work in a dynamic, creative educational community and work with accomplished professionals in a mutual learning and knowledge sharing environment. All housing and meals will be provided at no charge to the intern for the duration of the internship period. The week before and after summer sessions, Penland’s dining hall is closed. Interns working during this time will receive a $75/week food stipend. Informal studio space in Ridgeway classroom will be available during non-teaching/program hours.
Penland will work with applicants seeking educational credit for the internship. Details can be discussed in the interview process.
• Assist with Kids Camp activities, including processing student materials, managing check-in and out of students, documenting camp activities through photos, assisting instructors as needed with teaching and supervision of students, and supervising cleanup at end of camp sessions (mid-June through early August).
• Design and implementation of a community-based youth workshop or series of workshops (this will be designed in consultation with the Manager of Community Collaboration.
• Have strong interest in arts education
• Have experience working with children
• Possess outstanding written and verbal communications
• Possess strong organizational skills
• Have the ability to pay close attention to detail
• Have the ability to successfully manage multiple projects at one time
• Have the ability to work collaboratively in a diverse work environment
• Be diplomatic
• Be able to work independently
• Be flexible
This position requires the applicant to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, reach above their head, have use of fine and gross motor skills, and work in close quarters. The applicant must have normal visual acuity at near and far distance with correction and hear the spoken word with correction. The applicant must be fluent in English. The position demands frequent exposure to inclement weather. While performing the duties of this job, the applicant is regularly required to sit and to work at a computer. The applicant is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently. The applicant must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
The internship will remain open until filled, however the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by February 1, 2017. Send resume and cover letter addressing relevant experience and interest in the internship, personal contact information and email contact information for at least 3 references to Stacey Lane, Penland School of Crafts, PO Box 37 Penland, NC 28765 or
Penland School of Crafts is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and a total of 57 historic and contemporary buildings. Penland School of Crafts is an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 63. Penland operates with a $16 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $5.8 million. We offer several internships throughout the year. Penland is located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC.