The Housekeeper is part of the services team that is responsible for general and routine cleaning of campus housing, offices and facilities, and the setup for special programs. The Housekeeper reports to the Services Manager.
• Works closely with the Services Manager to meet the housing needs of students, instructors and guests.
• Cleans and makes up rooms for students, instructors and guests and maintains a high level of cleanliness and organization of campus housing.
• Performs general maintenance needed in housing and reports any mechanical or maintenance issues via work order system immediately.
• Assist in moving furniture and replacing general housing items such as curtain rods and towel bars during work weeks, between sessions and changeovers.
• Works weekend days during any workshops, classes or residencies.
• Completes reports and turns in a timely manner to Services Manager.
• Assist Services Manager with inventory control and supply management.
• Works with staff to clean offices, studio restrooms, meeting rooms and other Penland facilities as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
A high school diploma or GED and a minimum of 6 months of services-related experience and/or training is required. Will consider equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to work weekends. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and operating manuals is required, as well as the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations. Demonstrated ability to solve problems, meet deadlines, communicate effectively and work efficiently and independently in a rapidly changing environment. Valid NC driver’s license required. Must provide own vehicle; mileage is reimbursed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and bend over. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently and to hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and to walk over rough, uneven terrain. The employee must be able to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Compensation discussions are a part of the interviewing process. Penland is located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Penland School of Crafts offers a unique opportunity to work in a dynamic, creative educational community and work with accomplished professionals in a mutual learning and knowledge sharing environment.
Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, engaging benefits and a unique work environment of creative inquiry. We have a variety of seasonal, part-time and full-time positions. Classes are offered in the spring, summer and fall with a short winter residency in January and February.
The position will remain open until filled, however the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by June 7, 2017. Send resume and cover letter addressing relevant experience and interest in the position and email contact information for at least 3 references to Shane Mixson, Services Manager, Penland School of Crafts, PO Box 37, Penland, NC 28765 or
Penland School of Crafts is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and a total of 58 historic and contemporary buildings. Penland School of Crafts is an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 63. Penland operates with a $17 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million.